Uranium weapons, often called 'depleted' uranium (DU) weapons, are manufactured from radioactive waste materials produced during the nuclear fuel chain and the production of nuclear weapons. They cause widespread and long lasting contamination of the environment. These weapon systems are radiologically and chemically toxic.
Many people - innocent civilians especially children, military veterans, industry workers - have illnesses and medical problems, which may be due to their exposure to 'depleted' uranium. In areas such as southern Iraq, where uranium munitions were used by the US and the UK, there have been reports of increases in cancers, leukaemia and birth defects.
At least 18 countries possess these weapons, the use of which is contrary to existing humanitarian law.
We, the people, need to let governments and the United Nations know that these weapons can have no part in a humane and caring world. Every signature counts! These online signatures will be added to more than 200,000 paper signatures already collected
We call for your support to demand:
- An immediate end to the use of uranium weapons.
- Disclosure of all locations where uranium weapons have been used and immediate removal of the remnants and contaminated materials from the sites under strict control.
- Health surveys of the 'depleted' uranium victims and environmental investigations at the affected sites.
- Medical treatment and compensation for the 'depleted' uranium victims.
- An end to the development, production, stockpiling, testing, trade of uranium weapons.
- A Convention for a Total Ban on Uranium Weapons.